Supporting a High Growth Strategy
All companies, as they grow and develop, experience frustration and pain. ‘It used to be so much simpler’ is a phrase you often hear from business leaders. But it’s a fact that success and growth bring complexity.
Are you able to attract and recruit new talent into your company? What makes your employees really engage and deliver high quality and high performance? Do your managers and leaders have the confidence and capability to drive up productivity and innovation? How do you reward and retain employees?
Typical client problems I have helped with include:
- Improving productivity through developing strong values and behaviours that support recruitment, training, engagement and performance standards. It’s brought clarity to who to recruit, what high performance is and how to get the best from the training budget.
- Providing a strategic focus to the people agenda. I have partnered with senior teams to build the People Strategy and then develop the HR function to ensure the strategy gets delivered.
- Improving recruitment and talent management with the development of a strong employer brand and agile recruitment processes. It’s brought new talent into the company, reduced numbers of staff leaving and recruitment costs and improved the company’s profitability
- Supporting the executive team through a merger with a cohesive people strategy and the creation of a common culture and leadership team. There’s been a far quicker collaboration between the two companies and quickly brought new opportunities and a return to the bottom line.
- Development of a new HR function in a rapidly growing professional services company.
- Supporting the Board as the HR non exec to provide insight and advice on people strategy.
For many smaller companies, size alone usually means that a strategic HR Business Partner is not required – certainly not on a full-time basis. If you are growing rapidly or going through change, a strategic people specialist, to help you shape your plans going forward can be of real value.
You may wonder how I focus on such a large sector of organisations. Well, the fact is that for any ambitious business, the price of success can be high. Growth brings problems with diluted communication, delegation, leadership across growing teams, added bureaucracy and loss of agility.
From the start up phase to the more mature organisation, fast growing SMEs reach points on their journey where things that were once so easy, are now more difficult. Gaining agreement, making decisions and keeping true to the culture of the company which was once so clear, all now seem more complicated.
In the 2017 Annual Scale Up report on SMEs, two of the biggest barriers to high growth companies scale up success continue to be the ability the recruit the right talent and the management capability of the senior team.
You’ll likely have brought new people into the business but more people means additional roles, many ideas and less agility. How do you create the infrastructure that’s needed, with efficient processes, without losing sight of your ethos?
You may need new thinking and skills to support your growth or you may need extra hands to manage the changes you need to make. Either way, by partnering with you, understanding your business model and goals, we deliver clarity to the people side of the business, that is so critical to your continued success.
I have worked with a variety of SMEs – from tech companies, retail and software development, through to veterinary practices. I understand the needs of SMEs on the high growth pathway to maintain their success, respond to customer demands, all whilst coping with internal people challenges.
Here’s an example of how I supported a high growth SME to overcome its growth problems through a reorganisation of its infrastructure and some targeted team development.
As my business name suggests, I work with you to get straight to the point, to help you to manage the change your company needs. I offer an initial review, where I work with you to understand your business needs and people strategies.
If you’d like to know more, please contact me.
Bristol based with national reach